SHS Students Place at FCCLA Competition

Mrs. Weston

SHS FCCLA Competition Winners

Oliwia Muszynska, Writer/ Reporter

Family, Career and Community Leaders of America is a national Career and Technical Student Organization for students in Family and Consumer Sciences education in public and private school through grade 12. The work of FCCLA helps students and teachers focus on a variety of youth concerns, including parenting, family relationships, substance abuse, peer pressure, sustainability, nutrition and fitness, teen violence, and career preparation in four specific Career Pathways.

Three students- Mia Miller, Linley Falkner and Emma Claire Kimbrough, all of the girls were awarded the FCCLA National Alternate certificate to compete in Denver, Colorado this summer if 1st or 2nd place are unable to attend Nationals. Mia competed in Interior Design Level 3 receiving GOLD, and overall 4th place in the state with a score of 93.33. Linley and Emma Claire competed in Chapter Service Project Display Level 3 event receiving GOLD, and overall 3rd place in the state with a score of 97.66.

Students Taking Action with Recognition (STAR) Events are competitive Events in which members compete at the regional/ district, state, and national levels. Students are recognized for proficiency and achievement in chapter and individual projects, leadership skills, and career preparation. STAR Events allow students to compete individually or as a team. There are more than 30 STAR Events students can choose to compete in, all of which recognize participants who demonstrate their knowledge, skills, and abilities to actively identify an issue concerning families, careers, or communities, research the topic, and develop and implement a project to advocate for positive change.

Events offer individual skill development and application of learning through the following activities: Cooperative- teams work to accomplish specific goals, Individualized- an individual member works alone to accomplish specific goals, Competitive- individual or a team performance is measured by an established set of criteria.

Ms. Weston said “For our first time attending the FCCLA State Leadership Conference and competition in STAR Events, I could not have asked for a better experience or outcome. So proud of my girls and we are already talking about competing next year!”